Our chapter is located south of Tampa in Sun City Center. The chapter was officially organized on June 11, 1976.
In June of 1975, Mrs. Nicholas (Mary Elizabeth) Mahrtens entertained 20 Sun City Center ladies at her home; these ladies were members of various DAR chapters elsewhere or were members at large. The purpose of this gathering was to consider the possibility of forming a local chapter. It was an idea readily accepted by those present and the groundwork was begun. After many meetings and organizational work by those dedicated ladies, the name of COLONEL GEORGE MERCER BROOKE was selected because of its significant historical connotation in the Bay area of Florida’s west coast. Colonel George Mercer Brooke was commander of the fort at the mouth of the Hillsborough River, known as Fort Brooke, the nucleus of what is now the City of Tampa. It was from Fort Brooke that a detachment of 100 U.S. soldiers marched in December of 1835 to bring aid to badly troubled Fort King (Ocala). Aid never reached that fort. Ambushed by Indians near what is now Bushnell, Florida, all but two of the 100 soldiers were massacred, thus precipitating the second Seminole War, which lasted seven years.
Colonel George Mercer Brooke established FORT BROOKE, a major military post on the Hillsborough River, in 1824. By 1829 it included a guardhouse, barracks, storehouses, a blockhouse, a powder magazine, stables, and a wharf.
Last update: 1/25/2014
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.